Monday, January 18, 2010

Week 3 - From the Rodeo to the Opera

I know what you're thinking..."From the rodeo to the opera is quite a leap and since when do we have an opera house in Midland/Odessa?"

We don't. What we DO have is a movie theatre that periodically shows live performances from The Metropolitan Opera in New York City. (http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/broadcast/hd_events_current.aspx)

On Saturday, I accompanied my sister and her husband to a showing of Bizet's Carmen. If I were a more eloquent writer, then perhaps I could accurately convey how I felt about Carmen. Since I'm not, I won't try other than to say, AMAZING. In one word, that's what the opera was...AMAZING.

There's a line on the movie Pretty Woman in which Richard Gere's character says, "People's reactions to opera the first time they see it is very dramatic; they either love it or they hate it. If they love it, they will always love it. If they don't, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never become part of their soul. "

I will always love the opera.

I can't believe, especially as a Theatre Major and Teacher, that I've waited this long to see one. But I can promise you that I won't wait that long to see the next one. I also know that the next one I see will hopefully be in person. (I guess that means I better start saving for a trip to NYC!)

There is definitely more I could say about the opera, but I don't feel the need to, so I will end with this...

Amy's final opinion on The Met: Live in HD: Let me repeat, AMAZING!

Amy's Advice: Get in line behind all the old people and maybe they'll give you the Senior discount too. (It worked for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment