Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My #1 Beauty and Fashion Rule

Being a woman is tough sometimes because it comes with so many rules.  Don't wear white after labor day (or to another woman's wedding), your nail polish should coordinate with your toenail polish, don't mix brown and black, the Coco Chanel rule of seven (referring to how many pieces of jewelry you can wear at once) and the list goes on.

In most cases, I understand the thought behind the various rules but being the rebel that I am, I just have one rule that I follow...

THERE ARE NO RULES.

Not when it comes to my fashion.  Sure, there are things I wouldn't be caught dead in (i.e. a denim mini skirt with UGGs) but not because someone decided it was a major faux pas or some hard and fast rule.  Rather, the reason I won't don certain outfits or accessories is simply a matter of preference.  If I like the way it looks (and have no moral issues with modesty, etc.) then I'll try it out.  And if Glamour Magazine says it's "so five minutes ago", I don't foresee that I'll lose much sleep over that.

Sadly, I have not always operated under this principle but for the last few years, I have recognized the freedom that comes with consulting only my inner fashionista.

 I've also discovered something else that I find fascinating.

Whatever your preference is, there will be women with similar taste who are just waiting for someone like you to pave the way.  In other words, instead of being a slave to others style ideas, you can become the trendsetter.

It might sound crazy, but I hear a lot of women saying, "I've always wanted to try that look" or "I wish I could pull that off."

My response to those ladies is simple.  You can...if you follow my #1 beauty and fashion rule!

(P.S. - My #2 Beauty and Fashion Rule is also quite simple.  "Bigger is better...especially when it comes to earrings, bracelets and purses!)

No comments:

Post a Comment