Saturday, August 4, 2012

Jewelry Rules!


I know what you’re thinking.  Amy, you JUST told us that when it comes to fashion, there are no rules so why are you posting about Jewelry Rules?  The list I’m about to give you is not really a list of rules but rather guidelines for how I accessorize with jewelry. 

The title, however, was meant in the sense that Jewelry RULES – it rocks, it’s the best, it reigns supreme when it comes to fashion, accessorizing and, well…it definitely reigns supreme in MY closet.  Words really can’t begin to describe my love affair with jewelry.  But those who know me already knew that to be the case, so let’s get on with it.

Here are a few guidelines that I use when considering, selecting and purchasing jewelry – something I do more than I should.

#1. If I’m not wearing jewelry, I might as well not be wearing anything.  No, I’m not advocating nudism as a new trend but rather expressing my personal feeling that without jewelry I am naked.  The only exceptions I can think of are working out and swimming….but even with the latter I’ve been known to sport earrings and bracelets to the pool.

#2. Who says you have to match jewelry to your outfits?  I often operate under the opposite principle and match outfits to fun, funky jewelry that I find.  But then again, I’ve always been a little “backwards”!

#3. Contrast is king.  I used to be a Matchy-Matchy Mona (yes, I just made that up), but now I’m a Contrast Carly. (No?)  Point being this…if I’m wearing blue or purple then I will search for my jeweled accessories on the yellow, orange or red side of the store.

#4. That reminds me – Dustee’s, Charming Charlie and Sam Moon are among my fave places to shop because their displays are arranged by color.  I’d like to think that brainchild came to someone who took a peek into my closet.

#5. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…BIGGER IS BETTER.  Okay, maybe my opinion is biased because I’m a big girl but I’d like to think that even if I were petite, I would still be drawn to in-your-face jewelry – you know, those earrings you can see from across the building or rings that take up your entire hand.

#6. If your clothing is the canvas and your jewelry pieces are the brushstrokes of color, then place them accordingly.  For example, I have a Tiffany Blue, cowl neck shirt I wear with red accessories.  Placement is important though.  I typically choose a chunky red necklace with a giant red ring.  I also have red earrings and bracelets, but I usually forgo those for the sake of balance in this piece of artwork I’m creating.

#7. Last but not least, be true to you.  Remember, I said there are no rules so ultimately you get to wear what you like.  Everyone knows that I have no desire to purchase dainty little rings or small earrings that don’t hang at least to mid-neck.  If I did that, it would seem weird and very un-Amy.  But the same goes for you.  If big or blingy isn’t your deal, then stick with whatever is your deal and don’t worry about what others say – even loudmouths like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment